In late 1942, a quarantine zone – the "Little Camp" – was set up on the northern edge of the camp and separated from the main camp by barbed wire. Persons who had been deported from all of the German-occupied countries stayed in the Little Camp for several weeks before being sent on to subcamps.
The arrival of mass transports from Auschwitz, Gross-Rosen and other camps in the east in 1944/45 turned the Little Camp into a place of dying and death, to which above all thousands of Jewish inmates were committed. Demolished after 1945, this zone played no role in the National GDR Memorial complex. Archaeological work begun in 1991 has uncovered structural relics.