Additional information

Buchenwald Railway
Information on the commemorative path along the former rail embankment can be found here.

"Time Lane"
Information on the footpath between Ettersburg Castle and the memorial can be found here.

Facility for execution by shooting in the neck
A replica of the facility can be found here.

Photo: Naomi Tereza Salmon

Buchenwald station

The railroad line from Weimar built by inmates in 1943 initially served the supply requirements of the armament plants adjacent to the camp; beginning in 1944 it brought people from all of the many German-occupied countries to Buchenwald Concentration Camp and from there to labour sites in the sub-camps. Scheduled trains could also be used by the public. The Buchenwald station was the point of departure for transports of permanently disabled inmates to the Auschwitz extermination camp and the last stop for evacuation transports from camps in the east in 1945. All that remains of the Gustloff-Werke II armament plant and the SS troop garages opposite are fragments of the walls and foundations. Access to these grounds is not permitted. The storage station - now a popular destination of the “Commemorative Buchenwald Railway Path” - was bared in 1993.