After the liberation the Dora and Harzungen camps were used to accommodate “displaced persons” (DPs).
From December 1945 onward, the Dora barrack camp as a reception camp for German expellees from Czechoslovakia.
Following the dissolution of the repatriation camp in July 1946, the city of Nordhausen had the barracks of the former Camp Dora disassembled and re-erected in the destroyed town and district.
Allied investigation committees worked to shed light on the crimes committed in the Mittelbau camps.
By the end of the 1940s, hardly anything remained to be seen of the former camp. The grounds had rapidly been reclaimed by nature.
It was only in the wake of the political upheavals of 1989 and the German reunification that the Mittelbau-Dora Memorial became better known beyond the region’s boundaries.