Photo: Katharina Brand, Buchenwald Memorial

Inmates’ infirmary

In the summer of 1938, the construction of two barracks got underway in the area of the so-called "Revier", or sick quarters. By early 1945, the inmates’ infirmary consisted of six barracks, including several solidly built ones with underground levels. This expansion, which was accelerated on account of epidemics and overcrowding, was brought about primarily through the persistent efforts of inmate orderlies.

The inmates’ infirmary not only served the purpose of medical care in the camp. In 1941, it was also the site of selections for extermination transports to the Sonnenstein and Bernburg "euthanasia" killing facilities. In rooms adjacent to the "operating theatre" and in the wards, SS doctors murdered numerous inmates by means of lethal injections.