Phone: +49 (0)3631 495 825
Fax: +49 (0)3631 495 813
Mittelbau Subcamps Information and Memorial Site
The Dora camp was the core of a large network of concentration subcamps in the southern Harz mountains that were consolidated to establish the independent Mittelbau concentration camp in October 1944. By April 1945, the Mittelbau concentration camp complex consisted of thirty-nine subcamps. More than 40,000 persons were imprisoned there by the SS in 1945. In the majority of the Mittelbau camps, the inmates were forced to excavate tunnels. Hardly any of the underground armament factories ever reached completion. The SS had barrack camps set up in the vicinity of the construction sites. The largest of these subcamps were in the districts of Ellrich, Harzungen, and Rottleberode near Nordhausen.
Please find more information on the 39 subcamps of the Mittelbau-Dora concentration camp on the subcamp-website.