Furniture of Friedrich Schiller
In April 1942, at the behest of the city of Weimar and the Goethe-Nationalmuseum, inmates working in the Buchenwald Concentration Camp carpentry shop were put to work building copies of the furniture in Friedrich Schiller’s study and death chamber. To that end, the original furniture was brought to the concentration camp from the Schiller House and replicated there under the direction of the joiner Willy Werth, who had been a camp inmate since 1937.
In the Schiller House, which was to remain accessible to the public even during the war, a plaque on the doorpost read: "The pieces of furniture in Schiller’s study and death chamber are faithful reproductions of the originals, which have been removed for safekeeping." In 1999, the Stiftung Weimarer Klassik gave the replicas to the Sammlung Gedenkstätte Buchenwald.