Additional information

Buchenwald Railway
Information on the commemorative path along the former rail embankment can be found here.

"Time Lane"
Information on the footpath between Ettersburg Castle and the memorial can be found here.

Facility for execution by shooting in the neck
A replica of the facility can be found here.

SS-Area

image

Buchenwald station

The railroad line from Weimar built by inmates in 1943 initially served the supply requirements of the armament plants adjacent to the camp; beginning in 1944 it brought people from all of the many German-occupied countries to Buchenwald Concentration Camp and from there to labour sites in the sub-camps. Scheduled trains could also be used by the public. The Buchenwald station was the point of departure for transports of permanently disabled inmates to the Auschwitz extermination camp and the last stop for evacuation transports from camps in the east in 1945. All that remains of the Gustloff-Werke II armament plant and the SS troop garages opposite are fragments of the walls and foundations. Access to these grounds is not permitted. The storage station - now a popular destination of the “Commemorative Buchenwald Railway Path” - was bared in 1993.

image

"Caracho Path"

The so-called Caracho Path provided direct access from the railroad station to the inmates’ camp. The path was lined by the most important camp administrative institutions, of which the filling station, garages and remainders of the command headquarters built in 1938 have survived. Arriving transports were incited on the run up to the gate by the SS with dogs.

image

SS-caserns

Only a few of the SS Death's-Head squadron caserns built in 1937–1939 are still in existence. They are now used by the memorial, e.g. as an international Young People's Centre. The site of the former SS drill ground now serves as a car park and bus stop. The visitor information centre is located directly adjacent to the car park.

image

"Guard path"

A path approximately three kilometres in length, encircling the former inmates’ camp; the route of the SS guard units for the surveillance of the concentration camp. The fact that the villages located in the valley are visible from various points along the path – and vice versa – provide evidence of the fact that Buchenwald Concentration Camp by no means led a completely isolated existence. Point of departure for a circular tour: gate building of the former concentration camp.

image

Bear pit

In 1938 the SS had a recreation area built directly alongside the inmates' camp for use by its members and their families. The facilities included a zoo, of which the bear pit and other structures have survived.

image

Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke GmbH (DAW)

The grounds of the DAW arms factory border the camp to the east. Only ruins remain of this former SS plant, in which concentration camp inmates were forced to work to meet wartime requirements. A small area is accessible by way of the Ettersburg-Buchenwald Zeitschneise (time lane) laid out in 1998/99.

image

Stable

The stable built in 1940 was altered in 1941 to serve as a facility for the execution of Soviet prisoners of war. A model of this facility for shooting in the back of the neck is located in the crematorium annex. Opposite the stable was an indoor riding arena of which the foundations can still be seen.

image

Quarry

The existence of a limestone quarry was one of the prerequisites for the choice of the Ettersberg as the site for the camp. It supplied the material for the construction of buildings, roads and paths. Labour in the quarry was one of the hardest occupations. Many inmates died there, victims of physical abuse or despotic shootings by the SS.

image

SS officers' colony

SS officers' colony | In 1937 the SS officers had cosy villas built for themselves in the folk style on the southern slope of the Ettersberg. The foundations of several of the houses in this SS officers' colony have been exposed. The SS built a falcon yard near the officers' colony in 1938; it was also open to the public. Special inmates such as the former French Prime Minister Léon Blum and Èdouard Daladier were imprisoned in the falcon lodge beginning in 1943.