The exhibition catalogue and an annotated selection of suggested readings are available here.
Remodelling of the permanent exhibition on the history of the Buchenwald concentration camp
Due to the remodelling of the permanent exhibition on the history of the Buchenwald concentration camp and the associated programme of structural renovation, the former depot building – together with the exhibition that it has previously housed – will be closed from 20 April 2015 until 9 April 2016.
During this time, the exhibition In Black and White: Photographs of the Buchenwald Concentration Camp will be on display in the former inmates’ canteen.
The Buchenwald Concentration Camp 1937-1945
The permanent exhibition, which details the history of the concentration camp, was opened in 1995. It is located in the camp’s former “depot” building, where the inmates’ clothing and personal possessions were stored. The exhibition’s design alludes to the original purpose of the building. In the exhibition, steel shelves open to become display cases which hold objects that bear witness to the crimes committed under National Socialism and provide a glimpse into the reality of life within a concentration camp — the existence of which was tolerated by ordinary German society.
Covering 1600 square metres, the exhibition includes hundreds of objects that illuminate Buchenwald’s history, including artefacts, photographs, documents, eyewitness accounts, and biographies of both victims and perpetrators. The exhibition is divided into six main sections.